Process - Finishing Elements


Pickguard style?
Given that this was my own design brief, and I wanted to see enough of the wood grain, I knew that I would be making modifications to the pickguard.  And since I'd moved the control cavity position this would have to be accommodated.  I found a smaller than standard ('F-hole') shaped pickguard for a really good price and held it up to the body and neck to get a sense of where it needed to be trimmed. 



Headstock style?
I really wanted this build to be a Telecaster, but not really look like a Telecaster.  I bought a Stratocaster neck but do not like the Strat headstock shape.  As it is bigger than a Tele headstock, I was able to design a shape I liked better (similar to a 'warhead' style) and mark this with a sharpie for cutting.  Having decided that there was too much room for error using the router, I cut it down to shape with my jigsaw.  It came out exactly as I'd hoped and required minimal sanding to achieve the necessary smooth edges and curves.

I'd never owned a guitar with a maple neck, and felt that this would be a good choice for this project, providing some contrast with the darker body coloring.  But The headstock needed, in my opinion, to match the body somewhat.  I tried several applications of yellow and black dye, coming out with a dark green hue.  It actually was a good color (and there are some green tones in the body), but after lacquer was applied it did not come as close as I felt it needed to the body.  So I bit the bullet and resprayed a light dusting of black before applying another few coats of clear lacquer.  Still some dye showing through, but darker; maybe a little too dark, but I want to get this thing put together now!!!

The tuner holes were perfect, but slightly snug after a little overspray from the lacquer.  Some sandpaper on the end of a drill bit helped clean them up a tad for the tuner keys to fit snugly, but not require a bench vise for installation.  It was harder to drill the pin holes (2) for each tuner key than I thought, but with a little wider bit and a few more tries, the tuners were flush with the headstock and each functioned smoothly as I'd hoped.

Anxious now for set up and get this thing strung....!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Navigation

Lessons Learned

Final Hardware Assembly