Process - Electronics


Soldering the pups was actually one of the most relatively easy aspects to this entire build.  There are good wiring diagrams online, but I really relied on my intuition and a good multimeter.  The switch was the hardest part, only in that there are 8 terminals coming from it while there are only three leads connected to it!  And I wanted to ensure that the forward position went to the neck pup and the rearward position went to the bridge pup.  I easily isolated which terminal did what.  After realizing that each pup connected to two terminals, it was easy to work out which ones would have the right pup active in what position - including both at the middle switch position.

Shielding of the cavities is very important, but not effective if not also grounded to the bridge.  I bought a small role of adhesive copper foil.  Very easy to tear off the right sized amount and press into the cavity space.  A trick I read to ensure contact/connectivity was to fold over the adjacent edge so that the adhesive did not interfere with the connection.  Though I got a nasty 'paper' cut on one finger while pressing the foil into place - it's actually very sharp stuff (chalk up another 'hazard' of guitar building).  I also left the bridge pickup cavity foil hanging over the top of the guitar by roughly 1cm.  This means that when the bridge is screwed down in place it makes contact with the cavity shielding,  The cavity shielding itself is grounded to the control plate (Volume potentiometer), so all is grounded together.

Also, I twisted the lead and ground wires from each pickup together before running them through their respective channel hole toward the control plate; each twist is under 1" in order to Not act as an antenna to pick up interference or radio signals.  Then the output jack was soldered (ground to the outside, white lead wire to the tip) and the jack screwed into place.

After plugging in my guitar for the first time, I was astonished with how quiet the pickups are at any volume or any setting, and alone or together.  I cannot believe how little radio noise or hum there is.  Really really quiet for two single coil pickups.  Very happy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Navigation

Lessons Learned

Final Hardware Assembly